Terry’s MOVING TIPS TO MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER
8 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Call for estimates from three professional Movers.
6 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Inventory all possessions now. Decide what to move, sell, replace or donate to charity.
- Complete Canada Post “Change of Address” forms; mail to media, stores, organizations etc.
- Obtain copies of all medical, dental, legal, accounting, veterinarian records etc.
- Make appointments for record transfers between schools on both ends of move.
- Itemize moving related costs with mover including packing, loading, special charges, insurance etc.
4 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Repair, send out for re-upholstery, or clean furniture, drapes, carpeting as necessary.
- If a professional mover is packing your goods, schedule packing day(s), one or two days before the move.
- If moving yourself, order adequate boxes, packing materials and tape now.
- Arrange for short-term or long-term storage if you will need it.
- Make travel arrangements for boarding services, including necessary medical records, immunizations, etc.
3 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Assemble sufficient supply of packing materials, equipment. Pack items you won’t use immediately or that will go into storage.
- Contact utilities on both ends of the move, order termination and/or turn-on for occupancy date.
- Confirm final travel arrangements for family and pets.
2 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Terminate newspaper and other delivery services.
1 WEEK BEFORE THE MOVE
- Gather important papers, records, valuables, for protecting shipment to new home or safe deposit box.
- Notify friends and neighbors of new address, (and phone number if possible).
- Make plans for pets and/or young children to be cared for on moving day.
- Fill any prescriptions, medications needed for the next two weeks.
THE WEEK BEFORE THE MOVE
- Plan simple meals for moving day (or take-out food) to avoid using the refrigerator. Pack items you need to take with you including valuables, financial records, personal papers etc. Carefully mark LAST BOX PACKED – FIRST BOX UNPACKED Containing tools, flashlights, snacks, coffee, tea, soap, toilet paper, medicine or anything you can’t live without.
The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.